Friday, July 6, 2012

Hemp Jalapeño Brownies

Hemp Jalapeño Brownies seem to be a big curiosity for people. They were originally my Dad's idea, so I have to give him the credit. The recipe though, has been completely created by me. I have had a few trials and errors with my recipe, but I think I've found a winner!


"So what's up with the hemp?" People ask me.
Well, where do I even start? Hemp is awesome! I had no idea how awesome it was until I started researching it. After my dad suggested this flavor I had the same question, why hemp? Well you see, hemp seems to be somewhat of a superfood.


Hemp comes from the Cannabis Sativa L plant. Yes, we all know that cannabis is also where marijuana comes from, but this is the seed (size of a sesame seed). It does not have THC in it, which is the active component in marijuana. Therefore we can eat it all day long and it is completely legal!


"Why is it so good for you?" The wonderful thing about hemp seeds (also called hemp nuts) is that they are full of protein. Hemp seeds are considered a full protein which means they contain ALL of the 10 amino acids. It's a vegetarians dream for protein!


Hemp seeds also contain omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. These help to support the brain and immune system. They help in lowering your cholesterol too. Hemp is also high in vitamin E and magnesium. Wow!!

All of these reasons and more are why I am so excited to be using hemp flour, which is just ground up hemp seeds, in this brownie. The brownies also contain almond butter and agave nectar. They are gluten free and actually quite healthy for you.
Hemp Jalapeño brownies have a nutty taste and texture due to the hemp flour. They also have a spicy bite to them from the jalapeño. To top off the nutty hemp flour and spicy jalapeño bite, I have added chocolate chunks for even more texture and chocolatey taste!


1 comment:

  1. You didn't mention almond butter as one of your ingredients which is also great for you and is loaded with calcium...

    ReplyDelete