Monday, June 25, 2012

Homemade Jam

Growing up, my mom made freezer-jam a few times. I don't remember making any other kind, therefore the whole canning thing is new to me. A lot of my friend's families canned and I saw all their supplies, but I've never done it myself or had my own supplies.


This year I set out to can my own strawberry jam so that I could use it in truffles. (Truffle secret: jams work better than purees.) I currently use a homemade jam that I pick up at the Farmers Market, but using homemade jam by me just seems more neat! I like to know where all of my ingredients come from, that is the #1 important thing for Zest as a business and me as the owner. So knowing that I picked the strawberries and I made the jam myself, just satisfies me to the core. As business grows I won't always be able to do that, but for now I plan on it. (Speaking of jams...it's blueberry season!!)


I discovered this great place that not only sells all the supplies needed for canning, but they are also friendly and give out great advice too. It is the Rockingham Co-op. I love it, it is my new favorite store! When Andy and I plant a garden next spring, we will probably spend all of our time there.


When canning my strawberry jam, I opted not to use pectin. I know that pectin is not bad, but it is a substance that I don't know much about, therefore I don't need it in my food or chocolate. I found a great non-pectin recipe, so that's what I used. (I doubled the recipe.)
  • 2 pounds fresh strawberries, hulled
  • 3 cups white sugar
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice

For the most part, the recipe worked. Unfortunately the jam didn't set up the way it would have if pectin were used. Next time I think I may just try the pectin...after I research it more of course. Luckily for me though, I don't need a solid jam to use in my truffles. The jam gets melted down anyway, so a more liquid jam will work just fine.

My first canning pot! I am so proud of this piece!
I am very excited about the strawberry jam that I made! Now I can use it throughout the seasons and always know where it came from. Next time I think I'll experiment with more flavors and pectin!


What jams do you make? Any great recipes that I should try, or tips I can use?

No comments:

Post a Comment